Sunday, July 28, 2013

Time

If you know me, you know I am a planner. I like to plan activities and trips right down to the tiniest details. I just can't help it! I like to have a plan. 

Down here I continue to be a planner but with a few exceptions. You see, just about everything here is by the seat of your pants. Here I thought I'd be spending the past week in my site but a last minute phone call from the training boss led me to be in the capital or creole training. 

I might wake up one morning at 7:30 and think I have nothing going on but a day long activity will materialize within minutes and I'll be off. I say day long because NOTHING here can be done quickly if you require the services of a business. Or public transportation. Oh god public transportation. 

Anyway. So I have learned to just always be prepared for anything when I leave the house in the morning because you just never know where ill end up! 

After 4 days of Creole training I was pretty worn out. We were due to finish Friday at noon but I was somehow convinced to leave at 9am to head back to my site so Erin and Tyler (who want to start a fish farming project on their own) could see the fishes in my site. Then of course we get stuck in the mud while going out to the reservoir. Whoops. 
And since Erin and I were in the back of the pickup truck, we came out of this situation covered in mud. 

However, they were able to see the fish cages and go out on them to get a good idea of how the process works. 

Then after a shark sandwich we headed down to Los Patos for a little goodbye get together for a friend who is leaving on Tuesday to go back to the states. 


Also picked up a Larimar bracelet from the shop on the way down. Larimar is a stone that can only be found in the DR!


A good time was had by all. Except for the raging hangover I had on the bus ride back to Barahona. Which took forever, of course. 

Also, in case you're wondering how our spare time in the capital was spent after creole training...


Eating any and all food that we can't get in our sites, obviously. 

Time here is flying! I've been in country for almost 5 months now. I'm hoping to move into my new house mid August, so more on that to come. 

P.S. don't even ask if I learned creole. I can say a few things but dear lord I have completely forgot how to learn languages. 

Xoxo Kaley 

No comments:

Post a Comment