Saturday, February 15, 2014

Recent Happenings in my Kitchen

Now that I don't live with a host family I finally have full control over my diet...which means a few less rice and beans meals. And not much meat because I hate raw meat and here if you want chicken you're getting all of the chicken, including the feet. barf.

Food availability here can be tricky. Sometimes rice and beans is all you can get and in that case that's what volunteers eat. Some have never cooked a meal here because they continue to eat at their host family's house. I live in a decent sized pueblo so my food availability is pretty good.
The Dominican diet doesn't have nearly as many veggies in it as the American one. Maybe that's just my opinion, but I happen to like veggies so I stock up when the truck comes by.


Some veggies in their routine bleach bath before consumption. 
Apparently I was hungry? Yes those are Kraft singles. There are some things I just can't live without!

Veggie fried rice with teriyaki sautéed cabbage

Cucumber-onion-dill vinegar salad
Passion fruit juice :)

Midnight snack: Peanut butter and banana sandwich with homemade dark chocolate sauce


Rosemary pan fried potatoes with cheese and 2 over easy eggs. And hot sauce. 

Tuna salad on whole wheat toast. 


There you have it. Because I know you were wondering what I eat these days.  There are things I can buy here in my pueblo, things I have to buy in Nagua (wheat bread, yogurt, kraft singles, cereal) and things I have to buy in Santo Domingo (good cheese, salad dressing, good hot sauce, olives). Enjoy all your delicious food (and conveinence) up there in America!!! And your dishwasher. Man I hate washing dishes. 

xoxo Kaley

No comments:

Post a Comment