Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Coming Home

Greetings loved ones, I'm back. Annnd it's halfway through January...when did that happen???

After a snowy, cold 2 weeks in the US I've now been back in the DR for about 15 days.

There was a lot of snow. But I got to see almost allll the important people in my life and it was great.





Our annual post-Christmas Chicago trip to shop and eat. 

I brought 2 full size jam-packed suitcases back with me (mostly clothes and christmas presents and stuff for volunteers who didn't go home for the holidays). Because obviously I wouldn't travel light. Not me, ever. But I will tell you my new clothes were much needed (flow.so.hard).

I must tell you I was a bit nervous to come back. Would I hate it now that I had been back in the first world enjoying modern conveniences, hot water, driving and throwing the TP in the toilet? Luckily my dear friend Sam and I (this is her blog) arrived to the DR almost at the same time, which was a fabulous culture shock/coping mechanism. We were greeted at the airport by some familiar faces and made our way into the concrete jungle of Santo Domingo. 
The truth? It was great to be back. We eased into the new year with a hundred something other volunteers in the beach town of Cabarete on the north coast and even though the weather wasn't ideal (rains in the winter here) it was great to see everyone. 

Sam and I
Kate Sam and I

Some people I like. 

Then we headed back to site on the 4th. I spent a couple days with my host family finishing out the Christmas season (which ends January 6th here because of the King's Day) and then...........I MOVED!

Yep. Move number like 15 since I've been in Peace Corps? meh. I moved into a rooftop apartment about 5 minutes walking from my host family's house...let's just say it's pretty different from my previous living situation. 






So that's it! 2013 ended a little rough, so I have high hopes for 2014. 

More updates on my projects and "work" coming soon. 

Besos!! Kaley










No comments:

Post a Comment