Saturday, May 25, 2013

Día de las madres


So it's mother's day here in the DR and I think in most of Latin America if I'm not mistaken. 
The women's group I work with is 19 women who tend to the fish farming project. They are part of a larger (100 women to be exact) association that meets every Saturday at 4:30 in the afternoon.
 I'll take this time to inform you all that meeting etiquette here is a bit different-there is Dominican time and gringo time. If a meeting starts at 4:30 in the US, you get there at 4:15. 
Here, 4:30 means si dios quiere, after you do your hair, once you feed your kids, after you iron, and if the water has just arrived for the first time in days, well, let's be serious no one is going. If you arrive early you are a fool and people who are walking by are gonna look at you weird. Also, since everyone's phones are pay as you go for outgoing calls, if a phone rings the recipient is obviously going to answer because obviously the incoming call is free as opposed to the minutes they would have to use to call them back after the meeting. 
Honestly, all of this is fine with me. If you know me I'm late all the time as it is and the cell phone thing just means I can answer mine whenever I want because mine too is prepaid. 

Anyway so today we began around 5:15 and the meeting was centered around a 200 peso gift exchange between the people who chose to participate. The goods:
I too participated although I am not a mother and I don't know all of the women. I was gifted a cute coffee cup set which I shall be using once I have my own place! 
The two girls to the left in this picture (Mairenny sitting and Mimi standing) are two of the leaders of the group. 
Mujeres
Celida's daughter Iris reading a poem she wrote for her mom. 

I'll tell you something. These ladies are sassy. If someone spent 150 pesos instead of 200 they were getting an earful from their recipient. If the wrapping paper was not up to par or if it didn't have a bow, there were complaints. Go big or go home right?

I'll end by saying feliz de de las madres to all of you moms out there for your hard work and to my own mom who is the best in the whole world! Thanks for everything you have taught me and for supporting me in this one of a kind experience. Love you!

Kaley

No comments:

Post a Comment