Friday, June 7, 2013

That one time the peace corps doctors thought I had dengue

Well thank god I don't, right?! 

It all started Sunday night when Kate and I went to go visit some friends in Peralvillo. We had plans to drink our fair share of cold beers, visit out families and dance. You see, I do not drink or dance in my site. Why? Because I need people to respect me as a PCV and people here talk. A lot. An example? In Peralvillo (an hour north of Santo Domingo) a doña told us that one of her customers in her shop saw one of our friends drinking and dancing in her site...which is in the interior of the country...hours away. And he doesn't even know that volunteer. 
So needless to say I'm careful in my site and a little r&r was needed. 

When we got there on Sunday I felt fine. 4pm rolled around and I spiked a fever. It broke about 2 hours later and naturally, we went out. The next day I felt okay until about one, and luckily I was already in the peace corps office in Santo Domingo. I went straight in to see the doctors. I had a fever, headache and my back felt achy too. The doctor reluctantly told me that she thought I had dengue and that I was staying in the capital. I was sent to a hotel immediately for the night (with hot water and air conditioning, not horrible). The following day I went to the clinic to have bloodwork done. 
On Wednesday morning I had my results. Negative for dengue, positive for a nasty kidney infection. I was given antibiotics and pain meds and sent home on Thursday. 

I'm back in site now and although I'm not feeling 100%, I'm glad to be home and thankful that we have such great healthcare as peace corps volunteers. 

I should also report that during my stay I ate froyo, Wendy's, Pizza Hut AND are lunch at the US embassy. Twice. So much for the 15lbs I've lost since being in country... 

Besos!! Kaley 

These are some of the ridiculous pictures my sisters sent me while I was bored in my hotel room....

Hehe. Sorry guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment