A little chick pea-cucumber-cilantro salad
Curried broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and onions over white rice with avocado.
Standard fried plantains with a fried egg and cheese. Fabulous hangover food.
Black bean burgers with tostones
Skillet potatoes with peppers and onions and fried eggs. Also great for hangovers.
Brown sugar glazed carrots, tuna cakes with dill mayo and lettuce salad with honey lime garlic vinaigrette. And fresh cheese.
Coconut curry stew over white rice with fresh cilantro and cabbage salad and of course, avocado.
Not pictured here:
9.5 pounds of mangu (mashed boiled plantains with butter, for those of you who are not Dominican) complete with fried salami
The 12 other avocados I've eaten since the season has started
Approximately a gallon of banana smoothie because someone gave me 25 ripe bananas that I had no idea what to do with.
Honey Garlic Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or finely minced
- pinch coarse salt and pepper
- 1 6oz can of tuna fish in water or oil, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 egg
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
Combine tuna, onion, bread crumbs and pepper in a bowl. Gradually add olive oil to make mixture into a sticky paste like texture. Form small patties and pan fry in a little bit of vegetable oil until brown on both sides a heated through. Drizzle with fresh lime juice and serve with light mayo mixed with fresh or dried dill.
Black bean burgers
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
These can be baked or grilled (pan fried in my case).
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- Finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg and hot sauce
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.